& QUALITY CARE
Clinical Nephrology is the medical subspecialty that deals with the Kidneys, especially their functions and diseases. Department of Nephrology at Umkal main focus is to provide comprehensive care across the wide range of kidney diseases. Our team of highly experienced doctors is known for their superior clinical skills and treats patients of all age groups.
What is Dialysis?
Dialysis is a life – saving process that artificially replaces the functions of the Kidneys. Hemodialysis involves removing blood from the body and filtering it in a machine. The patient is connected by a tube to the dialysis machine, which continuously draws blood out, cleanses it and removes excess fluid and then returns the blood back to the patient. Hemodialysis must be performed for 3 to 4 hrs at least three times a week. I
When to start dialysis?
It is recommended that dialysis begins well before kidney disease has advanced to the point where life threatening complications affecting the brain, heart and lungs occur. If one starts dialysis late than the quality of life is not significantly improved even after receiving regular dialysis.
Hemodialysis is the most common method used to treat advanced and permanent kidney failure. In hemodialysis, your blood is allowed to flow, a few ounces at a time, through a special filter that removes wastes and extra fluids. The clean blood is then returned to your body. Removing the harmful wastes and extra salt and fluids helps control your blood pressure and keep the proper balance of chemicals like potassium and sodium in your body.
Dialysis Unit at Umkal Hospital
- Round the Clock Dialysis services available.(24x7)
- We provide latest R.O. (Reverse Osmosis) water as per AAMI Standards for the dialysis, to ensure patient safety and prevent long term complications on Hemodialysis.
- Latest generation, fully computerized bicarbonate Hemodialysis machines with volumetric ultra filtration and adjustable sodium facility, and provides better patient safety profile.
- Facility for continuous monitoring of sick patient on dialysis through highly sophisticated monitors throughout the dialysis procedure is available.
- Reminder calls and messages are send for continuous follow up.
- Disinfection of Hemodialysis machines after every shift is practiced for patient safety.
- We have highly trained technical and nursing staff under supervision of nephrologists.
- Dialysis Medical officer available in the department to handle all types of complications.
- Free Recreation and Refreshment available for patients during Dialysis
- Haemodiafiltation (HDF)
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) Catheter insertion & training
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)
- Endotoxin removal therapy
- Plasma Exchange
- Hemoperfuration Poisoning treatment
- AV Fistula
- AV Graft
- Permcath insertion