Dialysis is one of the major components of kidney disease treatment. A patient needs dialysis when his/her kidneys are damaged to the point of failure. You can start kidney dialysis when you want to start it, or you may follow your doctor’s recommendation.
However, you may want to know and understand your options before you consult your physician.
What happens during dialysis?
In simple terms, dialysis is the procedure which does the work of your kidneys artificially. Like the kidneys, a dialysis machine filters the fluid content of the body and removes excess urea from the blood. You may need to get dialysis as frequently as up to twice a week, depending upon the condition of your kidneys.
Why are people afraid of dialysis?
In the most traditional form of dialysis, a port is placed on the central vein of the chest, which then filters the blood using the dialysis machine. A lot of people are afraid of this port, as it can be extremely prone to infection, and is also painful.
Luckily, less painful methods of dialysis have been developed by doctors, which include using a PD catheter, a fistula, and a graft. These methods are far less prone to infection than the traditional dialysis technique. Most of the best kidney treatment hospital in Gurgaon like Umkal Hospital use these methods of dialysis for their ailing patients.
What are the two instances when you can start kidney dialysis?
You can either start kidney dialysis when the first symptoms of kidney failure show up. For example, when the lab reports suggest that your kidneys are rapidly deteriorating, it is a good idea to start dialysis.
Alternatively, you can start kidney dialysis after your kidneys have failed, or the symptoms and damage have been worsened.
What are some of the things you should remember about dialysis?
- There are no two ways to go about dialysis. Once your kidneys have failed, you will require dialysis in order to survive. Without dialysis, your body will retain almost all the fluid you intake, as well as the toxic urea which you generate. This can poison your blood and is a fatal condition.
- If you find that the symptoms of kidney failure are not too worse just yet, it would be wise for you to wait until the lab results get back. Sometimes, doctors may suggest dialysis to ensure that your body works normally while your kidneys get time to heal.
- You can also choose a kidney transplant over dialysis. However, it is hard to find a match, so you can continue with your dialysis until you can get a donor.
- Although dialysis will improve your health, it also comes with some serious side effects, including low blood pressure, an increased chance of infections, and cramped muscles.
- Starting dialysis before you have symptoms of kidney failure may or may not help you live longer. How you respond to the treatment depends upon your age and your health condition.
- Once you start dialysis, it will affect you in a huge way. That is why a lot of people are intimidated by the thought itself. However, once you start it, you will be able to live a better life. Also, with proper health habits and a well-balanced diet, you will be able to reap the benefits of dialysis very soon.
Out of all the hospitals in Delhi NCR which provide patients with the best and affordable dialysis in Gurgaon, Umkal Hospital deserves special mention for its best in class infrastructure and facilities. If you are looking at getting dialysis done, then reach out to Umkal Hospital as early as possible, so that you can heal fast.