Gastroenteritis is a very common disease worldwide, affecting millions of individuals every year. Changes in lifestyle like eating street food, drinking contaminated water, consumption of alcohol, not washing hands properly before eating, unhygienic environment, etc. can lead to this problem.
This problem is extensively seen in people belonging to all age groups. This is a curable problem but it makes your gut quite weak.
If you face any of the below-mentioned problems, consult a gastroenterologist without delay. You can visit any of the top doctors at Umkal Hospital, the best gastroenterology hospital in Gurgaon.
Symptoms of Acute Gastroenteritis:
Gastroenteritis is a kind of intestinal infection (viral or bacterial and parasitic) which is also called stomach-flu. Ingestion of contaminated food, water or juice can make you vulnerable to this disease. This is curable but at the same time, it can be deadly too in the case of older adults, older kids, and infants. Generally speaking, the effective treatment for acute gastroenteritis is prevention which includes extensive hand washing. So, try to prevent it in the first place. So, the symptoms are as follows:-
- Watery and non-bloody diarrhoea- in case you see blood in the stool, you should know that you have some other kind of severe infection.
- Severe abdominal cramps.
- Nausea or vomiting or both at the same time.
- Maybe muscle-ache and muscle weakness along with headache.
- Fever (in some severe cases)
What should you do at Home?
According to the top doctors in Gurgaon and other major cities of India and abroad, you should take into consideration the following steps at home:-
- Drinking plenty of water slowly and steadily can keep dehydration at bay. Remember not to drink any beverage that contains caffeine. In case there is some other health problem that you are facing like any kidney problem, heart or any other problem then see your doctor right away. Do not try to be a doctor, self-medication can be dangerous.
- If you have vomited a lot then make sure to have fluids infused with lots of electrolytes. Loss of electrolytes can be very harmful as electrolytes are essential minerals that keep us going. You can mix salt and sugar in a glass of water and have it. You can also add a few drops of lemon in that concoction if you wish.
- Have very light food, yoghurt, lentil soup, dry toast, rice, etc. until and unless you get your hunger back. Do not have spicy food or any alcoholic beverage.
In this regard, it is worth mentioning here that, UmkalHospital is a top gastroenterology treatment centre in Gurgaon where you can rush to for emergency medical assistance.
Know when to see the doctor:
In case you are an adult, call a doctor if diarrhoea continues for 24 hours or more. If nausea and vomiting continue for two days straight then go to a doctor right away! Vomit tinged with blood can be pretty dangerous; do not ignore the signs of severe dehydration like excessive thirst which leads to mouth becoming dry, the colour of urine changes from straw yellow to deep yellow due to loss of electrolytes along with lightheadedness. In some cases, you can also notice blood in your stool along with fever more than 104 F.
In the case of an older kid, see a doctor right away if you find your child has fever more than 102 F, passing bloody or not- bloody loose-stool, if he/she is lethargic and very irritable along with severe abdominal cramps, drinking less water and seems pretty dehydrated.
For any further assistance, you can visit Umkal Hospital which is the best Critical Care & Emergency Care Hospital in Gurgaon. It provides high-quality care at affordable prices.